Friday, December 14, 2007

Parker and his "Barking" (coughing)

So, last night at about 12:30am Parker woke up with a horrible cough which was more like a bark. He was very upset and crying really hard so we tried to help calm him down. Well, then I noticed that he was really struggling for breath. Of course this totally freaked me out. We tried to get him to take slower breaths, but we just couldn't do it. I started debating about wether we should take him to the ER or not. When his breathing was just too difficult and then he started touching his chest and saying that it hurt I knew that it was time.
I had Les take him just in case he would need to get X-rays on his chest, I didn't want him to have to go in the room by himself. So, I stayed home with the other two boys and just waited. Let me tell you, I was so worried. I had a hard time keeping myself calm. After a couple hours went by (and it was now 3am) I was really wondering why Les hadn't called me yet. When I was just about to panic even more I heard them at the door. When I asked why he hadn't called me he said that he figured that I had gone back to sleep. Yeah right, like I could sleep with my baby at the hospital. The doctors said that he had Croup and they gave him some steriods and a breathing treatment.
Of course, when Parker walked in the door he was as happy as can be. He said that he had the best time ever. I guess that he was feeling better :) He was happy to show me his hospital bracelet. I, was so relieved that everything was ok with his breathing. If he hadn't been struggling so badly with his breath I wouldn't have been so worried. But, at least everything was ok. And today he acted perfectly fine. I think that he coughed once this morning and that was it. I guess we will see how tonight goes!!!

1 comment:

Christina said...

The same thing happened to us once with Jacob. Scared me to death. For a little while, he couldn't breathe at all. I am glad everything is fine now!